Economic Development Contacts
City of Rock Falls
Robbin Blackert, City Administrator
603 West 10th St
Rock Falls, Illinois 61071
Rock Falls Economic Development
In 2017, Rock Falls celebrates its Sesquicentennial (150th) and our ability to thrive and endure through the years is why we pride ourselves on our hard-working, friendly people and businesses that are both capable and willing to serve and assist.
Founded on the south bank of the Rock River in eastern Whiteside County in 1867 by A.P. Smith, Rock Falls is on your way no matter where your destination. Centrally located between the Iowa/Illinois Quad Cities to our southwest and Rockford on our northeast, Rock Falls is located at the intersection of US Route 30 and Illinois Route 40 and is adjacent to Interstate 88 with two interchanges. Downtown Chicago is only two hours away and the western suburbs are only an hour’s drive.
The Rock River remains our community’s most valuable recreational asset and is a part of the 330-mile long Rock River Water Trail which is recognized by the National Water Trails System. Home to some of the world’s best cat fishing, we are now the home of the Bass Pro Shop’s Big Cat Quest Fishing Tournament. The Rock River is also a quiet Mecca for recreational boating. The historical Hennepin Canal runs through the city’s east side with great recreational trails along its banks. The City offers peaceful, scenic park views with tennis courts, ball diamonds, soccer fields, picnic shelters, canoes and paddle boats and plenty of parking.
Rock Falls is the birthplace of the world famous jazz drummer, Louie Bellson who was deemed “the world’s greatest musician” by Duke Ellington. Louie often returned to Rock Falls and played many concerts for his hometown fans.
Rock Falls is very proud of its workforce, schools, healthcare facilities, recreation, clubs and organizations and most importantly, its people. By pulling together, we are making things happen in Rock Falls.
I invite and encourage YOU to stop and enjoy our town. Find out why we are ‘Proud of our Past’ and confident of our Future!
William B. Wescott, Mayor
Interstate East Property
This +/- 61 acre development property is located 250 yards from the Chicago-Kansas City Expressway (I-88) interstate exchange. Frontage is adjacent to IL Route 40 and US Route 30 is less than ½ mile to the north. This acreage is prime for commercial use and is zoned B-2. Strategically located along the CKC Expressway, IL Route 40 & US Route 30 make this property perfect for developers desiring high traffic counts. Municipal water, wastewater, electric and fiber are currently being extended to this property.
Glen’s Garden Subdivision
This 65 acre development property is conveniently located less than 800 yards from the Chicago-Kansas City Expressway (I-88) interstate exchange. It is highly accessible from the interstate exchange with a 240 ft. taper into a 500 ft. full-width northbound turn lane into the property. The property is zoned for Mixed Use Development (MU-1). Its frontage sits along IL Route 40 and it is also less than 4/10 of a mile from heavily traveled US Route 30.
Municipal water, wastewater, electric and fiber are currently available, making this a perfect shovel ready site. Rock Falls’ utilities are second to none, with the Rock Falls Electric Department having the national RP3 ranking as a Reliable Public Power Provider.
Opportunity Zone Property
Enterprise Zone Incentives
A wide variety of development incentives are available through the Whiteside County Enterprise Zone including:
- Property Tax Abatement
- Sales Tax Deduction on Building Materials
- Investment Tax Credit
- Machinery & Equipment Sales Tax Exemption
- Utility Tax Exemption/Machinery and & Equipment Deduction
For details on incentives, visit the Whiteside County Economic Development & Enterprise Zone site.
For more information please contact:
Whiteside County Economic Development
Whiteside Carroll Enterprise Zone Administrator
200 East Knox Street
Morrison, IL 61270
Phone: (815) 772-5182
Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity
The State of Illinois offers businesses excellent incentives to locate and do business in the State of Illinois, including tax credit and exemptions, job training grants, low interest loans and many other incentive programs.
For State of Illinois Incentive Details go to the Illinois Incentives and Tax Assistance web page.
The Façade Improvement Program provides grant funds to property and business owners to be matched by their equal or greater investment of private funds for the purpose of restoring and renovating commercial storefronts and replacing deteriorated or poor quality commercial signs and awnings. Funds are provided as a grant via reimbursement after all projects costs have been paid. Business must be “open for business” before reimbursement is granted. Please download this application for more information.
- Member of the American Public Power Associations
- Reliable Public Power Provider Gold Designation
- 9 peaking power generators that can produce 17 megawatts of electricity for peak shaving or emergency generation
- Hydroelectric facility on the Rock River assists the city in its 24 megawatt peak demand.
- The City of Rock Falls Water Reclamation facility opened in July 2011.
- 3 Million Gallons per Day (MGD) capacity
- The facility consists of: Fine screening grit removal, Biological Nutrient Removal (BNR) oxidation ditch, secondary clarification tertiary treatment, UV disinfection, 2 two-meter belt presses, and a septage receiving station
- The facility is designed with extra screw lift channels and piping to allow the addition of a mirror copy of the plant to be built directly east of the current facility thus doubling the current plant capacity.
- The collection system consists of 11 pump stations that are monitored 24/7 by a Cloud SCADA for data collection and emergency notification via cell phones. Pump stations also have emergency stand-by power generation if needed.
Edward Cox, Superintendent