Solid Waste Removal
Residential customers in single family dwellings are charged a $15.00 per month rate for weekly curbside garbage collection. This charge includes pickup for garbage, recyclables and yard waste. Additional charges apply for bulk items and white goods. For more information on each category, please see below.
Services are supplied by:
- Please tie or seal all bags and try to cover all trash cans to avoid blowing material and animal messes. All refuse must be placed in a proper receptacle which is a garbage can, plastic bag or suitable container which shall not exceed 35 lbs. or larger than 35 gallons in capacity.
- Garbage will only be picked up at street curbside, there is no alley pick up. All trash and recyclables must be at the curb by 6:00 a.m.
- Material that is placed out after the truck goes by MAY NOT be left until the next scheduled pick up day.
- Please do not pour or spray bleach or other chemicals on your trash bags or in your cans. Our workers have sustained serious injuries from this practice in the past.
- If you have a large cleanup project, you may want to consider a small dumpster for a few days.
- Remember not to throw any household hazardous chemicals, hypodermic needles, automotive batteries or un-dried cans of paint into your trash. This can cause severe messes, injuries or truck fires upon compaction. Contact our office to learn how to dispose of the above items as well as other undesirable materials.
Metal products include tin and aluminum cans, formed containers, i.e. pie tins and foil products. Rinse these items completely and place lids inside of cans. Crush as needed to insure that lids do not fall out creating the potential for injury. Labels do not have to be removed.
Glass jars and bottles should be rinsed and lids removed. Labels do not have to be removed.
Plastic jugs and bottles include containers with the numbers 1 through 7 on the bottom.
Rinse and remove lids. Labels do not have to be removed. Containers should be free of any liquids.
- Newsprint: Bundle, bag or place in the bottom of bin.
- Junk Mail: Includes envelopes, fliers, brochures, bill stubs, advertisements in bills, old papers, all white and colored papers. Place in paper bag or container to avoid the possibility for blowing.
- Brown kraft paper bags: Grocery, shopping, lunch bags, etc.
- Corrugated (Cardboard Boxes): Break down, bundle or neatly stack in manageable sizes not to exceed 3 foot square.
- Other cardboard: Food boxes such as cereal, baking goods, hamburger helper, macaroni, pasta type boxes, clothing boxes, shoe boxes, toy & game boxes, etc. Beverage cartons, i.e. 12 pack, cases, 6 pack carriers, etc. Bundle or bag all items in a paper bag.
General Recycling Information
Recyclables should be placed at the curb the evening before your pick up day. All residences must have a recycling bin at the curb to help the driver identify your stop for recycling collection that day.
Newsprint can be stacked on the bottom of the bin with all other material co-mingled on top.
In the event that you have more recyclables than your bin will hold, simply place excess items in a separate paper bag or container next to your bin. When using anything besides a recycling bin be sure to clearly mark for recycling. Additional recycling bins are available for purchase at the Rock Falls Utility Office, the cost is $9.00.
Plastic grocery bags are not acceptable in our recycling system. It is preferred that you use paper bags for any separation that you do.
Yard Waste Preparation
Beginning July 1, 2013, the City of Rock Falls will offer FREE curbside collection of properly prepared residential yard waste for a trial period. Yard waste service is provided on your regular pick up day April through November.
Curbside yard waste pick up is only for yard waste naturally generated from trees, bushes, shrubs and lawns on the residential property where disposal shall occur. No commercial landscaping waste will be picked up through the City’s curbside program.
Residents need to have yard waste placed at the curb by 6:00 a.m. on the scheduled pick up day.
Soft yard waste such as grass clippings and leaves need to be placed in a Kraft paper bag or a refuse container (marked with an “x”) not exceeding 35 gallons in capacity.
Hard yard waste such as branches or shrub prunings need to be tied into bundles not exceeding 48″ in length or 35 lbs. The diameter of any individual piece must not exceed 1 inch.
Christmas trees will be picked up the first two weeks following the holiday season. The Christmas trees need to be free of any wire, plastic, cloth, glass, metals or strings of Christmas lights.
Collections will always be delayed by one day if a major holiday falls on or before your pick up day. Major holidays include New Years, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Bulk Waste Preparation
The City of Rock Falls offers bulk waste curbside pick up. Bulk waste items must display a pre-paid bulk sticker which can be purchased at the Rock Falls Utility Office and the retail locations listed below for $1.00 for each item of bulk waste up to 35 lbs.
Bulk waste items shall not exceed 35 lbs. The following are UNACCEPTABLE BULK WASTE ITEMS: batteries, electronics, construction debris, broken concrete, lumber, rock, dead animals automobile parts, tires or hazardous waste. Residents must notify Moring Disposal to notify them of any large volume of bulk waste items to be collected.
928 1st Avenue
Rock Falls, IL
|The Beverage Store
500 W. Rock Falls Rd.
Rock Falls, IL
1700 1st Avenue
Rock Falls, IL
|Walmart Rock Falls
1901 1st Ave.
Rock Falls, IL
|Walmart Sterling |
4115 E. Lincolnway
210 W. 3rd Street
2301 Locust Street
White Goods/Appliance Pick-Up Preparation
Any resident requiring disposal of white goods (appliances) shall be required to contact Moring Disposal directly at the number below to arrange for pick up.
The City of Rock Falls does not have an electronic recycling program. Please visit Moring Disposal for available local options.